Sunday, March 15, 2015

Maureen Dowd pretty much...

...nailed it in her column this morning. The subtext, she writes, of Hillary Clinton's press conference Tuesday was:

“You can have the first woman president. You can get rid of those epically awful Republicans who have vandalized Congress, marginalized the president and jeopardized our Iran policy. You can get a more progressive American society. But, in return, you must accept our foibles and protect us.”

Now, frankly, I don't care if the next president is a woman, or black or gay, so long as (s)he's a Democrat. (Is Hillary my first choice? Not really, but she can win.)

I do hope for "a more progressive American society." And, at the same time, I'm deathly afraid some reactionary Republican will undo President Obama's legacy and plunge America back into darkness.

So, yeah, I'll accept the Clintons' foibles in return for that.

Oh, and by the way, I predict Hillary will be a lot more progressive than anyone thinks anyway -- certainly more than her husband was.

No comments: