Don't care? Here are seven reasons why maybe you should (my emphasis):
1. Long-term unemployment is still as high as its ever been since World War II.
2. Most of the long-term unemployed are having an extremely difficult time finding jobs.
3. Long-term unemployment takes an extreme toll on people's health and well-being.
4. The expiration of emergency benefits took away a key source of income for millions of people.
5. There's scant evidence that the long-term unemployed will find it easier to get jobs if their benefits are cut off.
6. Congress is doing very little else to help the long-term unemployed find work.
7. All this long-term unemployment is hurting the U.S. economy.
In a related story, for the first time in history, more than half the members of Congress are now millionaires.