Monday, January 13, 2014

I finally made it...

...to another basketball game on Friday night, only my second of the year. And it was a doozy! Zion-Benton (13-1) upset previously undefeated Stevenson (13-1), 70-69, in overtime. The Zee-Bees had been ranked No. 10 in the Trib and Sun-Times, and No. 18 by MaxPreps. The Patriots, meanwhile, were ranked No. 1 in the Trib, and No. 2 in the Sun-Times and MaxPreps.

I'll let you read all about it here and here. (I can't improve on that coverage.) Just suffice it to say that "the Hive was worth the drive." Even though I had to endure rush-hour traffic, freezing rain and getting lost, I arrived in time for the start of the second quarter and saw a great game. (Will Zion-Benton's Milik Yarbrough, who sank a nifty three-pointer with three seconds left to send the contest into OT, follow in the footsteps of 1973 grad and NBA star, Billy McKinney? If so, I can say I saw him way back when.)

If you get the chance, check out the Hive (as Michael O'Brien of the Sun-Times calls it) sometime. It's definitely worth it. But don't wear a Jimmy Kimmel Live! hat like I did. Some guy in the hallway made me take it off for some reason. While he muttered something about a "no hat policy," I know better: the guy's a David Letterman fan.

Tomorrow night: Loyola at St. Rita to see if the Ramblers can handle Northwestern recruit Vic Law & Co. Come on, Kevin G. -- you know you want to go!

No comments: