Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Associated Press is out...

...with its latest rankings according to class.

Before I get into how I would rate the 22 teams I've seen so far, it's worth mentioning the schools that I haven't seen (but want to):

8A Bolingbrook (5-0) and Homewood-Flossmoor (5-0)

7A Glenbard West (4-1), Lincoln-Way East (4-1), Glenbard North (4-1) and Batavia (4-1)

6A Richards (4-1)

5A Montini (5-0), Joliet Catholic (5-0) and Kaneland (5-0)

3A Aurora Christian (5-0)

(I can't believe I haven't seen Joliet Catholic's Mike Ivlow, above, or Glenbard North's Justin Jackson yet. Shame on me!)

Since we are entering Week Six (and my games for this weekend are set) I have only three weeks left in the regular season to see these 11 teams. Impossible? No. Unlikely? Yes. (Thank God for the playoffs!)

If Bolingbrook and Homewood-Flossmoor are still undefeated next week, I could kill two birds with one stone (and see a heck of a game). Otherwise, there's Lincoln-Way East at Bolingbrook the following week (always a good contest). Also, Montini is at Aurora Christian on October 19 and Joliet Catholic finishes the year at Benet on October 25. Glenbard North still has to play at Naperville Central, Wheaton Warrenville South and at Wheaton North in the last three weeks. Those should all be good games.

So who does that leave? Glenbard West? Can't make that game against Oak Park River Forest tomorrow night. York at home on the 26th? Only to see beautiful Duchon Field.

Batavia? Playoffs.

Richards? Same.

Kaneland? I saw the regular season finale last year against Morris in which both teams entered the contest 8-0 (great game!). But this year the Redskins are 2-3. Now I know what you're thinking: But Yorkville is 4-1 and Sycamore is 5-0. True; and those may be my backups for Weeks Seven and Eight.

There's still a lot to be sorted out in the last few weeks of the season. If Sandburg (4-1), for example, should happen to beat Homewood-Flossmoor tomorrow night at home it would throw that Bolingbrook game out the window. That would then tilt me toward Glenbard North at Naperville Central, unless, of course, the Redhawks got beaten badly by Wheaton South. It's all subject to change. But remember: The Best Game Between the Best Teams.

In the meantime, here's how I would rank the 22 teams I've seen so far according to class:

8A

1. Naperville Central (5-0)
2. Loyola (5-0)
3. Notre Dame (5-0)
4. Marist (3-2)
5. Neuqua Valley (4-1)
6. Warren (4-1)
7. Niles West (5-0)
8. Bartlett (1-4)

7A

1. Mount Carmel (5-0)
2. Wheaton Warrenville South (4-1)
3. Benet (5-0)
4. Lake Zurich (5-0)
5. Wheaton North (4-1)
6. St. Rita (4-1)
7. Niles North (2-3)

6A

1. Providence (3-2)
2. De La Salle (4-1)
3. St. Patrick (2-3)
4. Crete-Monee (4-1)

4A

1. Phillips (3-2)

3A

1. IC Prep (3-2)
2. Aurora Central (3-2)

No comments: