Saturday, September 14, 2013

Wheaton Warrenville South defeated...

...crosstown rival Wheaton North last night, 17-13, at beautiful Red Grange Field, above. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score would indicate, however; South was up 17-0 when North first got on the board with a touchdown at 7:21 remaining in the fourth quarter. Inexplicably (to me), the Falcons did not attempt an onside kick following the score, allowing the Tigers to drive down the field and, most important, eat up about five minutes of the clock. When North finally did cross the goal line on the ensuing drive it was too late; there was literally no time left on the clock, not even enough to allow for a point-after attempt. Strange, I thought.

I'll have more to say on this game when I give my complete wrap-up of the weekend in a day or so. But, not to tip my hand too much, it would be very difficult for me not to rank a team No. 1 that beat Glenbard West, Maine South and Wheaton North in its first three outings.

First, though, it's on to leafy Elmhurst, to see the Knights of IC Catholic Prep (not Immaculate Conception) host the Chargers of Aurora Central Catholic. How have these two Suburban Christian Conference schools fared against each other in recent years? Here are the results since 2004 (home team in CAPS):

2012: IC Prep 33, AURORA 0
2011: IC Prep 41, AURORA 0
2010: IC PREP 42, Aurora 14
2009: AURORA 26, IC Prep 20
2008: AURORA 22, IC Prep 12
2007: Aurora 12, IC PREP 7
2006: IC Prep 34, Aurora 20 (Not clear who the home team was.)
2005: IC Prep 34, AURORA 22
2004: IC Prep 20, AURORA 12

Hmm. Three wins for IC, three wins for Aurora, then three more wins for IC. Do I detect a pattern here? Is it time for Aurora to go on a three-game winning streak? I have no idea. But I'll be there today to find out.

And, as always, I'll be live tweeting the game @BoringOldWhtGuy.

P. S. Just in case it's a blow-out, like in the last two years, I have a back-up in mind: Marian Central Catholic at Guerin in (kind of) nearby River Grove. Now that game could be lopsided as well. But, fortunately for me, Gene and Jude's is on the way.

As my son would say, while pointing to his head, "Not just a hat rack!"

No comments: