Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The next entry...

...in My Road Home: 

Friday July 6th 

I met an inmate named Gilly today. Normally, other than Mike, I don't associate with anybody, but Gilly seemed friendly enough, approachable, and with his cot directly across from mine, it's hard not to have at least some eye contact. In speaking with him briefly I found him to be mild-mannered, intelligent, and aware of his surroundings, not a nuckle-head. Hmmm, might not sound like too much to ask, but in here it's like a needle in a haystack. Gilly carries himself like he's done this prison thing before, again like most of the guys here. He could see that I was out of my element, scared, and came across the way to offer some words of encouragement. As it turns out, he's served a total of eleven years so far, various crimes here and there adding up to that number. So I was thinking what did he do this time to end up back on Rikers Island. 

Well why not just ask him I thought. Gently I broached that subject as a somber look appeared on his face. "Jerry, it's the biggest mistake I ever made, and I've made a lot of them. I killed my brother." Just like that, it was out in the open. All of a sudden I was silent, I mean what the heck could I say? "Shit happens Gilly, don't sweat it." No, I don't think that would be the answer. So lamely all I could muster was, "Oh wow, geez, I'm sorry to hear that, hang in there." Hang in there? Quietly I slinked back to my cot, with an understanding not to ask anybody again what they are here for.

No comments: