Monday, May 14, 2012

Not much to talk about...

...today, except this little tidbit from Andrew Sullivan's blog: 

Catholics are the most pro-gay of all Christian denominations. 66 percent believe gay relationships are moral (compared with 41 percent of Protestants); and 51 percent favor marriage equality. The cardinals are, once again, directly opposed to the moral sense of a big majority of American Catholics. 

I have nothing to add to my usual headshaking about Catholics, so how about another excerpt from My Road Home? This paragraph follows the first part of Friday, June 22nd, 2007, Jerry Byrne's first entry, which I posted here. 

Handcuffed to a steel bench in a windowless room, I sit. My initial thoughts are how am I going to survive this; at least 2 years of incarceration, possibly up to a maximum of seven. The cuffs begin to pinch my skin. After about an hour I am led to the first of many holding cells that I will occupy before the day is over. This one already has about 20 prisoners in it when they open the door for me; everyone stares, I stare, quickly realizing I am the only white guy. Not to mention my khaki pants and button down shirt, I don't think I dressed properly. They look at me like I'm an alien, funny; I was thinking the same about them. I quickly become aware of two things; it's hot, and there is an awful smell in this room, it reeks of body odor. And it's only 11:00 a.m. Two long benches run side by side in the middle of the room, they are fully occupied. Actually there might be a bit of room if a few guys would move closer together, but I think better of asking anyone to squeeze in. So I stand.

No comments: