Friday, May 18, 2012

The completion of the first entry...

...in My Road Home, Friday June 22, 2007 (actually Saturday now): 

When you enter your dorm room initially each prisoner is given a pin # from which you can make three phone calls, courtesy of the State. I didn't know this at the time, but using your pin requires you go through a series of steps before you get an outside line. I was in no condition to sort my way through this maze. I guess the look of desperation must have been written all over my face, because quickly a fellow inmate was at my side, offering to help. "Hey man, let me take care of this for you, you're new here right, I got this for you." At last I think, an act of human kindness, on Rikers of all places. Hey maybe I can survive this after all. Little did I know however, I was committing a cardinal sin of prison life, NEVER give out your pin #!! As it turned out, my "guardian angel" was actually stealing my pin number for his own use. 

I begin to think that maybe when I wake up this will only be a bad dream, my mind plays tricks with me, yeah that's it Jerry, this is simply a dream. Sadly it's not a dream, but a nightmare that is just beginning.

No comments: