Monday, May 21, 2012

More from my friend's...

...prison memoir, My Road Home:

Monday June 25 

I have been befriended by one of the top prisoners in "3 Main," the dorm room I am currently housed in. His name is Tyson and he's been in prison for eight years. Built rock solid, and amazingly positive for a guy who has  5 years remaining on his sentence. I think Tyson sees how vulnerable and lost I am in this environment. But I ask myself, does he have an ulterior motive? Hmmm, he just might after seeing me enter the dorm fresh off my visit with Eileen, laden down with goodies such as a newspaper, t-shirts & magazines. Being a veteran, he knows eventually it'll be my turn to head upstate, to one of the processing prisons. When that day comes (hopefully soon, so I can get the hell out of here) I won't be allowed to bring anything but the clothes on my back, so Tyson will be the beneficiary of Eileen's largess. But for now I'm glad to have someone actually reach out to me. He pulls me aside, "Jerry, if anyone fucks with you, just let me know." I come to learn that everyone in this system has their own little scams and will do whatever it takes to survive. But he does appear genuine. I'm as fresh as a Daisy, Tyson senses this loud and clear.

No comments: