Saturday, April 21, 2012

Like any good son, I call...

...my mother about once a week, usually on Sunday afternoon. (It's a holdover from the olden days, when phone calls were cheaper on Sundays.) After catching me up on the latest family news and whatever her dwindling number of friends is up to, the subject often turns to President Obama and some real -- or usually imagined -- transgression of his. She can get pretty worked up about it, and it reminds me of a piece I read about a year ago called "Fox Geezer Syndrome" (my emphasis): 

Over the past couple of years, I’ve been keeping track of a trend among friends around my age (late thirties to mid-forties). Eight of us (so far) share something in common besides our conservatism: a deep frustration over how our parents have become impossible to take on the subject of politics. Without fail, it turns out that our folks have all been sitting at home watching Fox News Channel all day. 

Sound familiar? 

I only bring this up because of something I read in Charles Blow's column in the Times today. Interestingly, the only demographic group that approves of the president's job performance more than of the man himself is seniors: 

Reviews of the internal number in the ABC News/Washington Post poll found that unmarried men had the widest gap between the percentage who viewed Obama favorably (63 percent) and those who approved of his job performance (41 percent). By comparison, 66 percent of unmarried women had a favorable view of the president and 63 percent approved of his job performance. 

(As a point of curiosity, the only demographic group in which Obama’s approval rating was higher than his favorability rating was among seniors: 47 percent approval to 43 percent favorability.)

No comments: