Saturday, April 14, 2012

The high school basketball...

...season is over.

Football doesn't start for another few months.


What's a guy like me supposed to do?

Last night I ventured over to the Pick-Staiger Concert Hall in Evanston and watched (saw? heard? listened to?) the Northwestern University Symphonic Wind Ensemble. And you know what? It was great.

For six bucks (and free parking) I got to listen to an hour and a half of really good music. (At least I thought it was really good.) They opened up with a stirring piece by Leonard Bernstein, played three more by composers I'd never heard of, and finished up with "Air" by Bach and "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" from Lohengrin by Richard Wagner (which was spectacular).

And I was home in twenty minutes.

The video below combines Wagner and football. Awesome!

No comments: