Thursday, April 19, 2012

Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, by...

...Pablo Picasso, may be the first (and most famous) example of Cubist painting. 

John Golding, an art critic and expert on Cubism, died at age 82. According to the Times (my emphasis): 

Considered one of the foremost British art historians of his generation, Mr. Golding was known on both sides of the Atlantic for his book “Cubism: A History and an Analysis, 1907-1914.” First published in 1959 and issued subsequently in several revised editions, it is one of the earliest comprehensive studies of the movement and has long been considered among the most seminal. 
 ___ 

Though Mr. Golding was long recognized as an authority on Cubism, he grew to believe that the movement was resistant to authority in every sense of the word. 

“I continue to enjoy looking at Cubist pictures as much as I ever did,” he told the British newspaper The Guardian in 1994. “But I have come increasingly to realize that I do not really understand them, and I am not sure that anyone else does either.”

No comments: