Monday, December 5, 2011

Aaron Bailey would get my vote...

...for Illinois High School Football Player of the Year.

I saw the Bolingbrook quarterback four times this year (against Lincoln-Way East, Mount Carmel, Downers Grove South and Naperville Central) and once on television (against Loyola in the 8A final). The 6'2", 216-pound junior carried the ball 257 times for 1,983 yards (almost 8 yards per carry) and scored 30 touchdowns. Bailey also completed 58 passes for 1,039 yards and ten touchdowns. And he led his team to the 8A championship.

The Chicago Tribune selected Montini wide receiver Jordan Westerkamp for its Player of the Year this weekend, while ESPN reported that quarterback Blake Winkler of Lincoln-Way East won the Gatorade Illinois Football Player of the Year. (I haven't seen anything yet from the Sun-Times or MaxPreps.)

I saw Winkler play twice this year, against Bolingbrook and Wheaton Warrenville South in the second round of the playoffs. While he impressed the heck out of me in the win against the Raiders, Winkler disappointed me in the loss to the Tigers. The Griffins were held scoreless that night and Winkler was sacked six times, partly due to his taking too much time in the pocket. He's an excellent quarterback, though, and I look forward to seeing him in college.

As for Westerkamp, I saw him play twice this year also, against Loyola in Week 2 and Joliet Catholic in the 5A final (which I finally finished watching Friday night; and, no, I don't have a life). The Nebraska-bound senior caught three touchdown passes against the Ramblers in a losing effort and that was without star quarterback John Rhode. In the game against JCA, Westerkamp set two 5A records, for most yards receiving (331) and for touchdowns (5). It was a truly amazing performance. (My wife came into the room just in time to see him score one of his touchdowns. "Boy, is he fast!" she said.)

I came away from the 5A championship thinking that Westerkamp and JCA running back Ty Isaac were in the same league as Bailey. (Isaac also set two 5A records: 515 yards rushing and six touchdowns.) At one point near the end of the game, the camera showed Westerkamp on the sidelines saying, "Player of the Year, my eye!" (Except he didn't say "eye.") I assumed he was talking about Isaac.

But Aaron Bailey was dominant this year against some of the very best teams in the state. I really can't say how Westerkamp would have done against the Raiders' opponents, or the Raiders themselves for that matter. (I doubt that Montini faced a defense with Bolingbrook's speed.) The truth is, 8A is a long way from 5A.

But we'll see; Westerkamp will be playing for the Huskers next year. And Bailey will be back at Bolingbrook.

No comments: