Monday, May 23, 2011

Now that Mitch Daniels is out...


...of the race for the 2012 Republican nomination, all eyes (or at least some of them) are on New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. And my advice to those tempted to gawk? To paraphrase Kramer in the above clip, "Look away; he's hideous..."

No, not his physical appearance. (Heck, even I've put on a few pounds since I got married.) I'm referring instead to something Christie said last week in regard to the teaching of creationism in New Jersey schools (my emphasis):

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says it’s “none of your business” whether he believes in evolution, creationism or intelligent design.

Christie, a Republican, was asked his personal views a week after he said local school districts should be able to decide for themselves whether to integrate creationism into the curriculum.

On Thursday morning, at a press conference in Jersey City recognizing the St. Anthony’s High School basketball team, ranked no. 1 in the country, Christie again said it should be a “local decision” whether to teach creationism along with the state-approved curriculum. He said there was no consensus on teaching creationism, whereas evolution is part of the curriculum because there is a consensus.

Well, I guess I was wrong about one thing: Christie really is interested in the Republican nomination.

No comments: