Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Last night I stopped at a light...

...behind a GMC Sierra truck, much like the one above. Except the one last night had a chrome skull and crossbones on the hatchback, a chrome skull on each of the mud flaps and another chrome skull with illuminated red eyes just above the license plate. That's four skulls in all. And I thought, if not the current owner, someone at some point must have taken the time and trouble to put those on. Surely the truck didn't come like that from the manufacturer.

When the light changed, I sped up and sneaked a peek at the driver and -- wouldn't you know it? -- he had a bandanna on. And I thought to myself, how did those skulls get on there? Did he buy those at the "skull store?" Or perhaps he ordered them through the Internet.

"Honey, there's a big box out here for you..."

"Oh, great, that must be the skulls I ordered!"

And how and when did he put those on? I can just see him sitting at the breakfast table on a Saturday morning, reading the paper and drinking coffee.

"So what are your plans today?"

"Well, let's see, I need to go to the dry cleaner and pick up my shirts; I have some overdue library books to return; and -- oh, yeah -- Johnny has soccer practice at one."

"Is that it?"

"Oh, I almost forgot -- I thought I'd put those skulls on my car today."

"Great! I can't wait to see how those turn out. I think they'll add a lot to the appearance of your truck!"

No comments: