Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Doris Roberts, who played

...Ray Romano’s mother on Everybody Loves Raymond, died at age 90.

Interestingly (to me, at least), Ms. Roberts was ten years older than Peter Boyle, who played her husband on the show. Mr. Boyle, in turn, was only 22 years older than Mr. Romano, who played his son.

From Ms. Roberts's obit in the Times:

Despite her desire to be cast in more serious roles, Ms. Roberts had a gift for mining humor from the darkest situations. She made this plain in a Jewish Virtual Library interview, in which she recounted the final illness of her second husband.

“He was dying, and he looked at me and said, ‘I just worry about you, I wonder how ...’ Then he stopped in the middle of the sentence. He looked me in the face and said, ‘You know, on second thought, that will be your problem.’”

No comments: