Thursday, December 25, 2014

The other day, I made...

...the case for a Hillary Clinton / Jim Webb ticket on the Democratic side. Was I serious? Kinda, sorta.

This morning, I read in the Times, "Law and Order Issues, Once G.O.P.’s Strength, Now Divide the Party," in which the authors describe the split on this issue as between, basically, the entire party vs. Rand Paul. (You could write a similar article on foreign policy or drug policy or a host of other issues.) 

And I just wanted to say, Republicans will ALWAYS side with the police over blacks. Are you serious? That's one of the unstated planks in the modern GOP platform. I mean, fear of a "slave rebellion" is what being a Republican is all about. What do you think is behind the whole gun control issue? In the words of Tavis Smiley, "Arm every black person in America and then let's see what the NRA has to say."

But it also made me wonder if the Republicans are headed toward a Jeb Bush / Rand Paul ticket in 2016. Think about it: the two most likely candidates -- today -- from the establishment (Bush) and the tea party (Paul) wings.

Now, I know what you're thinking: It's Christmas, for crying out loud, don't you ever stop thinking about politics? And the answer is, no.

Gotta go start the beef tenderloin; we're having ten people over for dinner. Enjoy the holiday, everyone!

P. S. At age 56, I went to midnight Mass last night for the first time ever at the Italian church down the street. And you know what? I really enjoyed it. I actually like the pastor and the music was beautiful! (Read this for more.)

No comments: