Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Norman Bridwell, author...

...of the Clifford books, died at age 86. From his obit in the Times (my emphasis):

The series became a read-aloud literary staple, an international favorite for parents who read to their children before the children can read themselves. The books, which have been translated into 13 languages, have sold more than 129 million copies, according to Scholastic, and have inspired an animated television series and a full-length animated film.

“I do remember quite a stir on the floor above mine when the Clifford manuscript arrived; it had been turned down by nine publishers,” Dick Robinson, the chairman and president of Scholastic, said in a video interview on the occasion of Clifford’s 50th anniversary in 2013.

How many times did I read those books to my own two sons?

P. S. What was Norman Bridwell's wife's name? Norma

Norm and Norma would definitely be my Couples' Name of the Day. Reminds me of a song...


No comments: