Monday, December 15, 2014

I spent some quality time...

...with a Republican last week and it was even more eye-opening than I had expected.

For starters, she admitted that she still "really likes George Bush." And I thought, What about him do you like, 9/11? The two wars? Torture? Katrina? Record budget deficits? The economic collapse? What?

And her best response was that Bush "brought the country together after 9/11."

In the last days of his presidency, in the fall of 2008, Bush's Gallup approval rating hit a low of 25 percent. At the time I thought, if anything, that number sounded a little high. After all, I asked myself, Who on earth still likes this guy?

Now I know.

I like what Chris Rock said about W. in a recent interview with Frank Rich of New York Magazine (my emphasis):

George Bush ... revolutionized the presidency. How? He was the first president who only served the people who voted for him.

No comments: