Thursday, November 13, 2014

President Obama’s new...

...agreement with China to cut greenhouse gas pollution really has the potential to make Republicans look bad. Now the antediluvian GOP may be forced to double down on its denial of climate change. For the next few years, leading up to the 2016 presidential election, candidates for the Republican nomination will answer questions on the subject by repeating -- over and over again -- "I'm not a scientist."

Can you imagine taking your car to ten auto mechanics, having nine of them recommend new brakes, and responding, "I don't believe you. But then again, I'm not an auto mechanic"?

You're certainly free to believe anything you want about your own car, but justifying it by saying that you don't know what you're talking about isn't a very good reason, is it?

If you don't understand the science behind climate change (like me) why not just defer to those who do? If I had a good reason to doubt the scientific community on this issue -- or on, say, the age of the earth -- then fine. But to say I have a difference of opinion but no evidence for my position would just make me look . . . stupid.

P. S. Wait until the president acts unilaterally on immigration.

No comments: