Thursday, November 1, 2012

I'm pretty sure my Saturday...

...afternoon game will be Waubonsie Valley at Oak Park River Forest. That way I'll finally get to see the 9-1 Warriors (whom I missed in their big showdown with Neuqua Valley in Week Nine) and the Cinderella Huskies (who were 3-6 last year). I'll also get to see two of the buzziest running backs in the state of Illinois: Waubonsie's Austin Guido, above (1955 yards with 28 touchdowns and 8.6 yards per carry), and OPRF's Jakari Cammon, below (1296 yards with 18 touchdowns and 11.9 yards per carry). And -- and -- I'll get to watch it all in a stadium that dates back to 1924, when my parents were only five years old!

Now, as for the game itself, I can't find any common opponents and, as far as I can tell, the two programs have never faced each other. Can that be right?

But I've heard a lot about Waubonsie and its Upstate Eight rival, Neuqua, and will have seen the Wildcats play on Friday night against Bolingbrook. Will this give me any clue about Saturday's game? I'm not sure.

As for OPRF, I saw them lose to Glenbard West last year, 41-6, and would have never dreamed of seeing them play in the second round of the playoffs this year. (They were truly outclassed.) And although they lost to the Hilltoppers again this year by an even worse score, 49-0, the Huskies did beat Lyons (who knocked off Marist in Round One last week), and Hinsdale Central twice, albeit by close scores.

So do I think OPRF can pull off an upset this week over Waubonsie at home? Not really. But I want to be there just in case.

BOWG prediction: Waubonsie 38, OPRF 21.

No comments: