Friday, June 1, 2012

The next entry...

...in My Road Home: 

Thursday June 28th 

As much as you can like anything in this horrid place, I do like my new dorm, much improved over the old place. For starters, it's somewhat air-conditioned, and that's a huge relief. Same layout as the other one, a large, flat open room, with 50 cots lined up side by side. The majority of the men are black & hispanic, the caucasian count totals four! Next to me is Mike, 63 years old, former CEO of an engineering consulting firm. Since we're half the white population, we got to chatting. He was arrested for cocaine possession and is awaiting trial. I observe Mike spending his days combing through the obituaries. Curious as to what he was up to, I asked him why he pours over them so. Apparently he looks for someone about his age and appearance, with no immediate family, so he can one day assume their identity when he gets out. I wait for him to smile, thinking he might be just kidding me. Well I'd be waiting a long time, he's serious! 

This place is crawling with characters, petty thieves who would steal you blind or sell out their very own Mother for a few dollars. One of them I've encountered is Giovanni, who claims to be from an aristocratic family in Italy. He's here for credit card fraud & seems more than willing to share his tale of woe. Just last week he was arrested at a trendy NYC hot spot called Bungalow 8. "Jerry what are we doing here, only a few nights ago I was sipping champagne with three gorgeous models." I'm skeptical however, he looks like he doesn't have a dime to his name, I'll have to watch out for Giovanni, a real con-artist. But he is entertaining, and is facing a 2-4 year sentence.

No comments: