Friday, June 15, 2012

I thought of Jeff Foxworthy...

...and his "you might be a redneck" bit when I was at the airport last Friday.

Let me explain. After dropping my wife and son at the curb, I pulled out to head for the long-term parking lot. I had to wait, however, for another car to move and as I was sitting there I noticed Paul Begala getting out. Hey, I thought, that's Paul Begala! (For those of you who don't follow politics as closely as I do, Begala is a Democratic strategist and frequent guest on CNN.) Begala had his back to me at first, but when he turned around there was no mistaking who he was. I quickly rolled down my window and called out to him, "Hey, Paul Begala!" He looked stunned, of course. "I love watching you on TV," I said, and blurted out a few more banalities about President Obama and the Clintons. He stared back at me as if accosted by some sort of lunatic (imagine!). Muttering "thanks" or something, he walked away, but not before I could smile and give him a big "thumbs up" sign.

And as I pulled away from the curb, I thought of Jeff Foxworthy. To paraphrase the comedian: "You just might be a political junkie -- if you recognize Paul Begala from behind."

No comments: