Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I just received an e-mail...

...from Lincoln, the automaker -- of all people -- offering me a free subscription to the New York Times online. Forgetting for a minute how bizarre that is (a luxury car company contacting me for a subscription to a newspaper), it gives me an opening to talk about the Times's new -- and misguided -- paywall.

First of all, I'm a subscriber to the print edition (and always will be), so I get unlimited access to the Times's Web site anyway.

Secondly, I would gladly pay for it if I had to. (Well, not gladly, but you get the idea.) The Times is truly the "paper of record" and I can't imagine living without it.

(I did have a bit of scare last week when I thought the Washington Post had gone to a paywall as well. That would mean I'd have to start paying to read Ezra Klein's and Chris Cillizza's blogs. Fortunately, it was a false alarm. Phew!)

So I really don't have a dog in this fight.

But the problem with the Times's paywall isn't just that it's so complicated, it's that there are so many ways around it. You're allowed a set number of free articles a month, can get free views from links to blogs, twitter, etc., and on and on and on. And, then -- just when you least expect it -- somebody like Lincoln comes along and offers you a free subscription.

The bottom line is: you never really have to pay for it.

And that's unfortunate, because people should have to pay for content. But they don't -- at least not in this new Digital Age.

So I give the Times about a year or so to figure this out, but don't expect the paywall to last.

As Jack Germond once put it, "You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube."

No comments: