Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The events in Japan...

...are exactly why I hope neither Sarah Palin nor Michele Bachmann run for the Republican nomination.

(My own opinion -- and I haven't read this anywhere -- is that Palin has quietly told Bachmann she isn't running and that the Minnesota Congresswoman should go for it.)

As a political junkie, I'd love to see one of them run (but not both, that would be cannibalizing). And as an Obama supporter, I think a Palin or a Bachmann candidacy would be a gift, on the order of a Barry Goldwater or a George McGovern.

But as an American, who has a real stake in this country (and kids), I hope they both decide not to run. And the reason is that under just the right circumstances (or wrong ones) -- like a national emergency, which could be triggered if things in Japan spiral out of control -- the voters could get just desperate enough to turn to someone as extreme (and unqualified) as either of them.

We've already had one Republican president this century who was in over his head; we don't need another. And Palin, or Bachmann, would be much, much worse.

No comments: