Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I'll be traveling this weekend...

...to Louisville, Kentucky, of all places, and won't be able to watch the high school football playoffs live. (Fortunately, I have a DVR.) It's been a great season, though, and before I go, I'd like to make my picks for the finals.

In 8A, Maine South will make it two in a row (and 28 in a row) as they end Marist's Cinderella season. The last time the Hawks lost? The 2007 Class 8A quarterfinals, when they were defeated by Mount Carmel, 21-14. In 7A, Wheaton Warrenville South should defeat Glenbard West. (If only the Tigers could have those first five minutes against Maine South back. As Jerry Seinfeld would say while making a fist, "Oh!") And in 6A, Providence will come out on top over Cary-Grove. It's a shame, too, because both teams deserve a trophy. Cary-Grove is 13-0 and has outscored its opponents this season, 586-118. They recorded a total of six shutouts and allowed only six points in their first six games. They would certainly be the best team in any other year. But the Trojans haven't played anyone like Providence. The Celtics were the best team in the Catholic Blue Conference this year and beat Joliet Catholic, Loyola, St. Rita, and Mt. Carmel. They could easily compete for the 8A final.

Again, it's been a great season. I was able to take in a total of ten games in five different stadiums. (I think I have my own parking spot at Maine South.) I saw the Hawks play five times, Glenbrook South four, and Loyola three. I was also able to see five other teams that made the playoffs: Wheaton Warrenville South, New Trier, St. Rita, St. Pat's, and Notre Dame. And let's not forget that Gordon Tech-Brother Rice match-up on the South Side.

Can't wait 'til next year.

No comments: