Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ezra Klein of the Washington Post...

...mentions in his blog today something that I've long suspected: that a large part of Sarah Palin's aura is attributable to her sex appeal.

I've heard Pat Buchanan, Matthew Continetti, and Rich Lowry (to whom Klein includes an embarrassing link) practically gush over her like schoolboys in love. I also suspect it had something to do with Bill Kristol's and Fred Barnes's famous "discovery" of her back in '07 on that notorious junket to Alaska. And Fred Malek and John McCain are like a couple of old geezers in a nursing home that are infatuated with an attractive young visitor. Malek still is, and McCain was so charmed by Palin that he offered her a spot on the ticket. (He seems to have come back to earth since, and I'll bet he realizes how foolish he acted.)

I'm sure there are a lot of women who identify with Sarah Palin, but I still think it's her appeal to men that is keeping her career alive.

No comments: