Monday, February 23, 2009

Since I'm always bitching...

...about movies, I thought I'd mention four that I actually liked. It's all part of an effort to be more positive. The first is "Les Miserables" (1995), starring Jean-Paul Belmondo as the Jean Valjean character. I say "character" because the movie is only based on the Victor Hugo novel. It's set in the 20th century and if you were as bored as I was by the musical then you might like this treatment. It's very clever and better than any other version of the novel I've seen. (In French with subtitles.)

The second movie I'd like to recommend is also in French with subtitles (the last one, I promise). It's called "Amelie" (2001) and was the breakout film for the French actress Audrey Tautou. Set in Paris, it tells the story of a shy waitress who decides to change the lives of those around her for the better, while struggling with her own isolation. It's also very clever. My wife and I selected it one night by the process of elimination (as good a method as any when it comes to movies). I liked it so much I went back the next day and saw it again by myself. I know what you're thinking--what a loser!

"Richard III" (1995) is fittingly the third movie on my list. It's an adaptation of the Shakespeare play with Ian McKellan in the title role but don't let that scare you away. Whenever people ask me if I like Shakespeare I always answer "no" because I don't speak Elizabethan English. But this movie is different. Again, like "Les Miz" it's set in the 20th century, this time a 1930s-ish England. That gives it an interesting mood and a context which makes it easier to understand, although I wouldn't have minded subtitles.

Lastly is "My Dinner with Andre" (1981), starring Wally Shawn and Andre Gregory. Shawn is the son of William Shawn, the famous editor of The New Yorker and the voice of Rex the Tyrannosaurus in "Toy Story" (another good movie by the way). It takes place almost entirely inside a restaurant and is in modern English! The conversation is essentially a debate between Plato (played by Gregory) and Aristotle (played by Shawn). While Gregory argues in favor of intuition and feeling, Shawn makes the case for intellect and reason. As far as I can tell, this pretty much sums up the entire history of philosophy. Everything else since then has just been tweaking around the margins. It might sound crazy to watch a couple of guys talking over dinner for two hours but it's really interesting. You might have to watch it twice to catch everything but it's worth it.

No comments: