Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Just when I thought I'd heard everything...

...I went to a meeting last night at the high school about extra-curricular activities. Everyone was very nice and the whole thing was very impressive. They have just about every club imaginable and if you can't find one to your liking, you can start your own. You have to jump through a few hoops, but they'll pretty much do anything they can to accommodate you. Sounds great, doesn't it? One of the teachers talked about how he started a club for the Off Campus students (those are the ones with behavioral issues; in the '70s we called them "troublemakers"). They meet in the metal-working shop--I had to confess I didn't even know they had one--and make suits of armor. Suits of armor? Really? I had to stop him right there and raised my hand (we were in school after all). I had to ask: what do these kids do with the suits of armor once they're done making them? The guy got a blank look on his face. "I really don't know," he said. "They take them home, I guess." Now I don't know about you, but I'm not so sure I want a bunch of juvenile delinquents in my town marauding about in suits of armor. I might get a little anxious walking into my local 7-11 for a carton of milk. What's next, a zip-gun assembly club?

No comments: