Saturday, November 1, 2008

At least one of my readers...

...has requested that I make some predictions in regards to the Illinois high school football playoffs. Since I am a notorious fade (you could make a nice living in Las Vegas taking the other side of my trades) I am hesitant to embarrass myself. But, being a Tracy, here goes nothin'...

Victors in 8A today will include Glenbrook South, Warren (watch out for this team), Maine South, St. Patrick in an upset over Barrington, Brother Rice, and Naperville North. "What about Loyola vs. Glenbard North?" you might ask. If I said it was a pick 'em I'd justifiably lose readers. So, despite the Panthers' imposing quarterback Evan Watkins, I'll give the edge to Loyola largely due to home field advantage. Is that a cop-out?

In 7A, I'll pick Cary-Grove, in honor of the Deischers; Fenwick, for obvious reasons; Steinmetz, because Hugh Hefner went there; St. Laurence, an old Catholic League favorite; and Geneva, because I just like that town. I'm also going to go with Thornton Fractional South, because I was always fascinated with the name of that school. How can Fractional be part of a school's name? Is it a fraction of something? Can any reader out there help me with this?

My only pick in 6A is Lemont over Lake Forest. Don't those kids in Lake Forest have enough already? They already won the sperm lottery. Do they really need to win at football, too?

Finally, there's Sandwich in lowly 4A. How can you not root for a team named after one of the Major Food Groups?

All of my correct predictions will be included in tomorrow's blog (I hope there's at least one). All of my incorrect ones will be conveniently forgotten.

No comments: