Monday, January 16, 2017

One of my first responses...

...upon hearing that Donald Trump had indeed won the election was that President Obama should skip his inauguration. I wasn't sure exactly how that would work, but I just didn't think the 44th president should dignify the Donald with his presence. I mean, how could he?

Fortunately, President Obama is a much bigger man than me and never had any such ideas. As far as I can tell, the only former president expected to miss the festivities will be George H.W. Bush, due to his health.

But then Rep. John Lewis announced last week that he wouldn't be attending either and now more and more Democrats are joining him.

While I wasn't planning on attending the inauguration anyway (I'll be in Los Angeles on Friday), I figure if it's good enough for John Lewis then it's good enough for me. So I will also, in my own way, boycott the inauguration. (Stop the presses!) That means on Friday I'll do just about anything but turn on the TV. Hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy the outdoors in LA, but if it rains as forecasted, there's plenty to do inside. I notice there are at least two museums within walking distance of where we'll be staying. And while I'm not a big museum-goer as a rule, I just can't imagine watching Donald Trump take the oath of office. I'm not prepared, like Rep. Lewis, to say that Trump is not "legitimate," but I do think he's unworthy of this great office. If anyone out there still harbors the childlike notion of American Exceptionalism, that will all be gone by noon on Friday.

It may not be original, but as far as I'm concerned, it's Mourning in America.

1 comment: