Friday, January 23, 2015

I'll be in Oak Park...

...tonight for my first basketball game of the season. (Can you believe it?) Loyola will travel to Fenwick in a classic Catholic League North matchup. Both teams enter the contest at 12-5, but while the Ramblers are undefeated (4-0) in conference play, the Friars are only 1-2. So does that mean Loyola will have the upper hand? I don't know; MaxPreps ranks the Wilmette squad at only No. 43 in the state while Fenwick comes in at No. 21. The Friars are also No. 21 in the Sun-Times and No. 18 in the Tribune.

The Ramblers are coming off a 44-21 drubbing at the hands of St. Viator (11-4) while the Rick Malnati-coached team defeated Proviso East last Saturday, 83-58. (What? Fenwick beat the perennial Maywood powerhouse by 25 points? Things have really changed in Illinois basketball since I was away!) Fenwick also lost to St. Joseph by only two points, 64-62, the night before. The Westchester school, still coached by Gene Pingatore (can you believe that?), is ranked No. 4 in the Times and No. 6 in the Trib and MaxPreps.

Are the Friars for real? Or will Loyola pull off an upset and remain perfect in conference play? I guess I'll find out tonight.

P. S. Oh, and don't be too surprised if I stop off at Russell's Barbecue in Elmwood Park on the way.

P. P. S. I'll be live-tweeting the game @BoringOldWhtGuy. See you there!

No comments: