Saturday, January 24, 2015

Ernie Banks, who was...

...a personal hero of mine when growing up in suburban Chicago in the late 1960s, died at age 83. (And that's how I'll always remember him: in that unique batting stance with his right elbow extended outward. We all tried to copy it.)

Banks's obit in the Times summed it up well in one sentence (my emphasis):

“It’s a beautiful day, let’s play two” became the mantra of the man known as Mr. Cub, a fixture in what he called the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. 

And every time I walk out of those dark ramps at Clark and Addison and get my first glimpse of that gleaming field I think the exact same thing as Ernie:

“There’s an unbelievable, indescribable love for baseball in Wrigley Field.”

It's true: there's no place like Wrigley and there was no Cub like Banks.

No comments: