Monday, September 15, 2014

The rankings are out...

...in the three news services I follow. After last weekend, I've seen ten teams in six games so far.

That's Hanson Stadium, above, where I saw the first half of Nazareth's 52-27 shellacking of St. Patrick on Saturday. (That's all I could take.) But I told you it was a nice place to watch a game (even if the turf is the same neon-green color as the relish on a Vienna hot dog). As for that contest and the Naperville North - Phillips game I saw afterward at Lane Tech, I'll have to get to those later.

But first, here are the current rankings with mine (and comments) at the bottom:

MaxPreps

1. Providence
2. Sacred Heart-Griffin
3. St. Rita
4. Loyola
5. Stevenson
6. Edwardsville
7. Brother Rice
8. Maine South
9. Joliet Catholic
10. Glenbard West

Chicago Tribune

1. Stevenson
2. Glenbard West
3. Providence
4. Cary-Grove
5. St. Rita
6. Nazareth
7. Maine South
8. Oak Park and River Forest
9. Waubonsie Valley
10. Loyola

Sun-Times

1. Stevenson
2. Homewood-Flossmoor
3. Glenbard West
4. Cary-Grove
5. Maine South
6. Oak Park and River Forest
7. Waubonsie Valley
8. Providence
9. St. Rita
10. Bolingbrook

BOWG

1. Mount Carmel (1-2)

First of all, I still think the Mount Carmel team I saw that lost narrowly to St. Joseph's (1-2) of Philadelphia in Week One could beat any of the other teams on this list. We'll see if I'm right this weekend when the Caravan travels to St. Rita (3-0). 

And second, yes, Providence (3-0) must be for real. 

2. Oak Park and River Forest (3-0)

The Lloyd Yates I saw in Week One against Lincoln-Way East is probably one of the two best athletes I've seen this year. (Dewayne Collins of Phillips being the other.) 

Huskies have two more relatively easy weeks before they travel to big, bad Glenbard West (3-0). (I'm still a little worried about their defense.)

3. Glenbard West (3-0)

Hilltoppers shut out their last two opponents and are allowing an average of only 3.3 points a game. Couldn't they beat OPRF? I won't believe it until I see it in Week Six. 

Hitters host Lyons (2-1) this week.

4. Lincoln-Way East (2-1)

Griffins travel to Lockport (0-3) this Friday; can't be looking ahead to Homewood-Flossmoor (2-1) in Week Five.

5. Phillips (2-1) 

Was the Carmel game a fluke? The Phillips team I saw on Saturday could play with anyone. 

Wildcats begin conference play against Julian this week. Can Phillips go undefeated the rest of the regular season?

6. Nazareth (3-0)

Roadrunners looked awfully sharp against St. Patrick (2-1) but face their biggest test of the year so far at home against Marian Central (3-0) and quarterback Billy Bahl this week.

7. Wheaton Warrenville South (1-2)

Tigers take on their first conference opponent in Naperville Central (2-1). Is the DVC down this year?

8. Carmel (1-2)

Yes, Corsairs beat Phillips and lost to two really good opponents, Fenwick (2-1) and Joliet Catholic (2-1). But could they beat the Wildcats a second time? I'm not so sure.

Carmel finally has a light week; travels to Marian Catholic (1-2).

9. (Tie) St. Patrick (2-1) and Naperville North (2-1)

Sorry for the cop-out but both teams had a rough day on Saturday. Shamrocks will have their hands full this Friday at Benet (3-0) while Huskies begin conference play against Glenbard North (1-2).

No comments: