Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Times has a front page...

...article today, "Polls Underline Stubborn Splits in 3 Key States," which focuses on the relative strengths of President Obama and Governor Romney in Colorado, Virginia and Wisconsin. The piece is a follow-up to a similar one last week on three other swing states: Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania. In both stories the President is seen as a slight favorite over his challenger.

But what I found most interesting in the polls was the question, "Would you say that Barack Obama (Mitt Romney) cares about the needs and problems of people like you or not?" Because, to me, this is what elections hinge on: Does this guy have my back? Will he look out for me? And I found the answers encouraging for the president.

President Obama:

Colorado 52% Yes; 44% No
Virginia 59% Yes; 37% No
Wisconsin 57% Yes; 40% No
Florida 55% Yes; 42% No
Ohio 55% Yes; 43% No
Pennsylvania 58% Yes; 39% No

Governor Romney:

Colorado 47% Yes; 46% No
Virginia 44% Yes; 48% No
Wisconsin 41% Yes; 51% No
Florida 42% Yes; 49% No
Ohio 38% Yes; 55% No
Pennsylvania 39% Yes; 54% No

The president's "Yeses" are all over 50%; Romney has three "Nos" over 50%. I think that's significant. Because, as I said, the single most important question voters ask themselves is, "Is this guy on my side, or not?" And that's a tough one for a fabulously rich guy who keeps his money in foreign bank accounts, won't release his tax returns and just can't connect with voters.

No comments: