Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Paul Waldman printed this chart...

...in his piece,"Potlandia," in the current American Prospect. (Hat tip: Andrew Sullivan.)

Since I'm 54 (as of last Saturday), I fit into the second highest category of Lifetime Marijuana Use (always a bridesmaid, never a bride). Yes, I smoked pot when I was young, and, yes, I lived to tell about it. And while I don't want to say whether or not marijuana is a good thing (as a recovered drunk I would tell you that anything that alters your consciousness is to be avoided; but as a concert-goer in the late 1970s, I would have told you that pot was Excellent!), I can't believe it's still illegal. Driving while high, sure. But smoking pot in the privacy of your own home? Why? And what's more, can you imagine going to jail for smoking pot? That's crazy.

P. S. Only 56 percent of us smoked pot? Really?

No comments: