Monday, March 19, 2012

I'm voting for Mitt Romney...

...in the Illinois primary tomorrow.

Surprised? Don't be; I'd still rather see President Obama get reelected. But, if the recovery stalls out and a Republican should happen to win in November, I'd rather see Romney -- a closet Democrat -- in the White House than any of the alternatives.

Would Mitt Romney really govern from the center, like President Obama? Who knows? If there's one thing we can all agree on -- left, right and center -- it's that no one has any idea what a Romney administration would look like. 

Or, as NBC's Chuck Todd once put it, "Who is Mitt Romney?"

Well, at least we have his one term as governor of Massachusetts to go by. And Romney governed there as a non-ideological problem-solver.

But wouldn't a President Romney be handcuffed by the GOP base? I'm not so sure. I could see Mitt getting sworn in and telling the tea party, "Hey, you guys fought me the whole way; now I don't need you. Go jump in the lake!"

Face it; Mitt Romney's been a phenomenal success at everything he's ever tried. He's not going to blow it by going off the deep end.

For example, would a President Romney embrace austerity and risk a double-dip recession and a one-term presidency? Not on your life.

How about Obamacare? Wouldn't Mitt repeal the Affordable Care Act? Don't count on it. First of all, repeal doesn't poll well. Secondly, Romney was the guy who made his bones reforming health care in Massachusetts. Besides, what would he replace it with, Romneycare? It's the same thing!

And don't expect Romney to repeal Dodd-Frank or get goofy with immigration, the environment or Iran. Remember, he's not a stupid man.

I guess there is that (not-so-small) matter of Supreme Court nominees; after all, Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 79 and Anthony Kennedy is 75. This is an area, I guess, where Romney could do some damage.

But I'm not saying I want Mitt Romney to be elected president; I'm just saying that he'd be the least of all evils on the GOP side. No, I'm voting for Romney tomorrow because if we have to endure another Republican president, I'd rather it be a moderate like Mitt Romney than an extremist like Rick Santorum.

4 comments:

Ed Crotty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mtracy said...

Come on, Ed, spit it out.

Ed Crotty said...

I respectfully disagree that Romney is a moderate. I believe he is a chameleon - Moderate as governor of Moderate Massachusetts - Wingnutty now to appease the right-wing base. He holds NO permanent policy positions - only "whatever will get him elected". His only qualification is that he is rich enough to have enough resources to face Obama.

ANY of the Republicans would be a complete disaster for the country.

Even MORE important is what happens in Congress - I will take a Democratic Ballot to vote for Bill Foster - whom I think has the best chance to knock off longtime liar Judy Biggert (elected in 1992 on a term-limits pledge!!). Judy talks like a moderate but always finds some excuse to vote like a tea-partier.

mtracy said...

I predict the Democrats pick up seats in the House but fall short of control. Meanwhile, the GOP will take back the Senate but by less than a 60-vote filibuster-proof majority.

Result: gridlock.