Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Let's jump to 1971 for today's song of the...

...day. This one is by Santana and features Carlos Santana as the lead vocal. (Gregg Rolie usually did the singing in each of Santana's first three albums.)

I saw Santana perform in the summer of 1979 in Midway Stadium in St. Paul. His was the warm-up band for Marshall Tucker, which was the bigger group at the time and the reason I went. (Younger people may have trouble believing that, but Santana was in a bit of a lull in his career while Marshall Tucker was in its prime.) At any rate, Santana stole the show.

The guys I was with that night were tripping on LSD and at one point I actually had a pill in the palm of my hand. I demurred, however, as it wasn't the right set or setting for my first trip. I was a long way from home and only knew one of the guys well.

I never did get around to tripping. It sounds like it would be fascinating, but when I was young I was cautious; I just thought I had too tenuous a grasp on reality in the first place. And now that I'm older, I don't hang around too many people that do acid--as far as I know.

No comments: