Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Connecticut Attorney General...

...Richard Blumenthal, who is running for the United States Senate, is in trouble for embellishing his military record. Yesterday it was revealed that he had given the impression--more than once--that he had served in Vietnam when he hadn't. At a hastily called press conference, Blumenthal said:

“On a few occasions I have misspoken about my service, and I regret that and I take full responsibility.”

I take full responsibility. Is it really necessary to say that? Isn't it self-evident that if the words came out of his mouth then he must be responsible? Who else could be, a ventriloquist? Unless he had a gun pointed to his head at the time (or times), then it would have to be his responsibility, wouldn't it? So why doesn't Blumenthal just say:

“On a few occasions I have misspoken about my service, and I regret that,” and leave it there.

No comments: