Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ralph Snodsmith, gardening expert,...

...died on Saturday at the age of 70. If you think that's a bad name, just wait; it gets worse. His father's name was Elmer Snodsmith.

Imagine going through life with a name like Elmer Snodsmith.

"Hi. I'm Elmer Snodsmith. Nice to meet you." How could you not burst out laughing if you heard someone say that?

What do you suppose his parents were thinking?

"I've got it! If it's a boy we should name him Elmer. What do you think?"

"Elmer Snodsmith...I love it!"

(What were the choices in case it was a girl? Clara? Zoe? Blanche?)

"Come on, let me fix you up with my girlfriend's roommate. She's really nice."

"What's she like?"

"You'll love her! Great cook, wonderful dancer--"

"What's her name?"

"Blanche Snodsmith..."

CLICK!

And what about his poor wife?

"Mother, I want you to know that I just met the most wonderful man. His name is Elmer Snodsmith."

It may have even been hazardous to be his friend. Picture some hapless guy coming home late one night and being met at the door by his frying pan-wielding wife.

"Where've you been all this time?"

"I was out with a friend."

"Oh yeah? WHO?"

"Uh, Elmer Snodsmith..."

BAM!

There's just no upside to a name like Elmer Snodsmith.

No comments: