Saturday, April 24, 2010

Nick Clegg, the leader of the Liberal Democrats...

...in Britain, is shaking up what began as a very boring election for Prime Minister. I've been scouring the Internet for information on what exactly Clegg and the Lib Dems (as they are affectionately known in Britain) actually stand for. As best I can tell, besides more integration in Europe and immigration reform, the Lib Dems stand for the British equivalent of "Mom, the Flag, and Apple Pie," i. e., reduced budget deficits, fairer taxes, better schools, and blah, blah, blah.

While Clegg has temporarily eclipsed Tory leader David Cameron as the flavor du jour, don't be too surprised if the Brits come home on May 6 to the hopelessly boring Gordon Brown of Labor.

Why? Just check out these soundbites:

"If it is all about style and PR, count me out. If it is about the big decisions, if it is about delivering a better future for this country – I am your man."

"I'm afraid David is anti-European, Nick is anti-American and both are out of touch with reality. These two guys remind me of my two boys at bath time – squabbling."

And my personal favorite,

"David, you're a risk to the economy. Nick, you're a risk to our security."

I don't care what Intrade says. I'm betting on Brown.

No comments: