Friday, May 1, 2015

Okay, okay, so...

...I cherry-picked this quote from a piece on Carly Fiorina in Bloomberg* today, but you have to admit: it's a doozy!

[Fiorina's] first husband, Todd Bartlem, a Stanford classmate who’s told other reporters that in the years they were together, she had no political opinions and considered Dress for Success her bible. When reached by phone recently, Bartlem said only, “You’re wasting your time, and I don’t want you to waste mine. In the clown car that is the Republican Party, she’s the ultimate clown.” (Click.)

Ouch!

Who is this Todd Bartlem guy anyway? I Googled him and found this from an old piece in the Times:

Peter Burrows's 2003 biography, "Backfire: Carly Fiorina's High-Stakes Battle for the Soul of Hewlett-Packard," about the former Hewlett-Packard czarina, included background and commentary from Fiorina's first husband, Todd Bartlem. Bartlem comes off as a bitter, wounded, and dare I say truthful commenter on Fiorina's hard-won transformation from world's peppiest receptionist to CEO of a prestigious multinational corporation.

Bartlem describes Fiorina worshiping the book "Dress for Success" like a "Bible," and ditching him without leaving a phone number or forwarding address.

"She became a unidimensional person," says the jilted husband. "Anything that didn't enhance her business life she didn't want to know about. . . . I wish I could wish her the best, but I don't. I want to see her fail."

I don't think he likes her.

* The Bloomberg piece is actually a balanced profile of Ms. Fiorina and worth a read if you think she's going anywhere in the 2016 Republican race for president. (She's not.)

No comments: