Sunday, March 2, 2014

There's a lot of talk lately...

...about another Bush vs. Clinton race, this time Jeb vs. Hillary in 2016. And I say: Bring it on!

This assumes, of course, that the former governor of Florida actually wants the job (I'm not convinced he does) and that he could get past the tea party crazies in his own party (I say yes, but not without a nasty fight).

In Maureen Dowd's column this morning, "Brace Yourself for Hillary and Jeb," she recalls the Clinton era as:

...eight years of turbulence held steady by a roaring economy and an incompetent opposition, a reign roiled by Hillarycare, Vince Foster, Whitewater, Webb Hubbell, Travelgate, Monica, impeachment, Paula Jones, Kathleen Willey and Marc Rich...

In contrast, you could sum up the last Bush presidency as eight years of Dick Cheney, tax cuts for the rich, 9/11, disastrous wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib, torture, Social Security privatization, Hurricane Katrina, the financial collapse and the Great Recession. Am I leaving anything out?

So let me see now: peace and prosperity, or the Midas touch in reverse? Hmm. Yep, I'll take that matchup.

No comments: