Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve in prison...

...from My Road Home:

Monday Dec 24th

I was glad to have work this morning, the Chief kept me busy from 7-11. Being busy means there is less time to focus on the realization I'm here, and that this will be the first Christmas ever apart from the boys.

Church was at 1:00 p.m. and brought in about twenty new faces for a total of 50 or so inmates. Back to the dorm by 3:30 p.m., where eight Christmas cards awaited me at mail call. I'm blessed to have that much love and support coming my way. Sadly to say, many of the guys in the dorm won't get that much mail in a year. I try to downplay it, and will hide seven letters under the pillow while I open and read one. Mainly I feel bad, but I don't want anyone to get jealous and then pissed off. I can just hear it, "Hey man, you think you're better than me with all that mail?" Good grief, I don't need that.

Quiet night in the cube, read the paper, part of the new book Eileen gave me, said my prayers, shed a tear or two right around midnight, then off to sleep.

No comments: