Monday, January 9, 2012

Two of my most respected readers...

...have taken issue with a post I wrote on Saturday about a friend of mine who's rebounded from a particularly difficult period. The tone of the piece struck them both as vindictive; that was certainly not my intent. I've gone back and reread it several times and still don't see that.

I suppose one thing that would help to clarify is that when I wrote "There, but for the grace of God, go I," what I really meant to say was, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." In other words, that could very easily have been me. Not only did I feel sympathy for my friend, but it also made me realize how tenuous all of our lives are.

And I guess that was the main point I was trying to make, if clumsily.

Let me see if I can say it better: Any of us could find ourselves down on our luck at some point and reliant on others -- even the government -- for assistance. So maybe we should all have a little more patience with those in society who need our help.

1 comment:

Ed Crotty said...

Everyone is a little hypocritical, so seeing you skewer "Charlie" for his hypocisy might be uncomfortable for some, esecially those who might be afraid that they may become blog fodder.

Personally, I thought the guy was an ass. "Charity for me but none for thee" is practically a plank in the Republican platform.