Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rene Belloq does not play...

...football for Glenbard West.

But Avery Balogh does. And the senior running back scored two touchdowns for the Hilltoppers today in a 45-14 rout of Hinsdale Central in Glen Ellyn. Balogh scampered about 70 yards or so on the first play from scrimmage and caught a pass out of the backfield on Glenbard West's first play of the second half. (See a pattern here?)

Today I got a chance to see the No. 2 team in Illinois (in both papers) play in one of the best stadiums around on a warm, sunny September afternoon. (I didn't have to think twice.)

As I approached the gate, I noticed a banner that said, KILL SATAN. Yikes! (I then realized they were hosting the Red Devils.) After purchasing a brat from the concession stand I took my usual seat at Duchon Field on the 30-yard line, top row, just under the OAK PARK & RIVER FOREST banner. I arrived just in time to see the second half of the sophomore game. (I like to see who's coming up next year.)

Then came the dramatic entrance of the Glenbard West varsity to the sound of some rap song. (Oddly, I can't tell you which one.) With the drum line off to one side, the players ran through a phalanx of cheerleaders and burst through another banner, this one saying, SEND THE DEVILS SIX FEET UNDER. (There was a lot of demonic imagery.)

I would have liked to have seen a more competitive game, but with Glenbard West that may not happen until the playoffs. (And maybe not until the second or third round, at that.) The Hitters, as they also like to be called, are the best 7A team in the state, and St. Rita should start scouting them now.

The Hilltoppers throw a lot of weapons at you. Besides Balogh, Ryan Kavanaugh, Joe Zito and quarterback Justice Odom carry the ball. Odom can also pass to wide receiver Nathan Marcus, or Kendall Johnson coming out of the backfield. The placekicker is Dan Cavazos, and besides kicking a field goal and six extra points, he booted seven kickoffs (by my count) into the end zone. (One hit the crossbar!) Cavazos could be the best kicker I've seen this year among a bumper crop of good kickers.

On defense, the identical twins Mike and Matt Marston (I swear I can't tell them apart!) protect the corners, with Mike adding another interception to last week's. And Tommy Schutt, who is headed to Penn State next year, anchors a very solid defensive line. (Schutt even scored a touchdown from about the one, a la the Fridge). It's trite to say this, but the game was really won at the line of scrimmage, on both sides of the ball.

As for Hinsdale Central, they were simply out-classed today. They shouldn't feel bad, though, as most -- if not all -- of Glenbard West's opponents will fit that description this year. But special mention should be made for junior Brian Owens, who played the entire game at quarterback (where was senior Danny Callahan?) and showed a lot of heart. Receivers Brad Anlauf and Tom Garvin made some nifty catches; and Nick Sellinger and T. J. Sally each rushed for touchdowns. On defense, Dylan Dowling and Peter Foley seemed to be everywhere.

But, as the score would indicate, the contest was a mismatch. I doubt this will be the last time I see the Glen Ellyn squad this season. Who knows? Maybe next week at Oak Park-River Forest.

One more thing. No trip to the western suburbs would be complete without a stop at Hamburger Heaven on North Avenue in Elmhurst, which features Richardson Root Beer. I got a -- what else? -- black cow for the ride home. It was delicious.

No comments: