Saturday, September 10, 2011

I ran in a 5k race this morning...

...in beautiful Flossmoor, Illinois. (That's not me in the picture above.)

It was my first race in about ten years. I don't know what got into me; I've been running this summer and wanted to see if I could break nine minute miles -- and I did. In fact, my final time was 27:45.7 for a pace of 8:57 miles. (Not bad for a fat old bald guy.) Over all, I finished 60th out of 130 entrants (top half) and 7th in my age group (50-59). Ironically, if I had lied about my age I would have finished fourth in the 40-49 age group. (Who said crime doesn't pay?)

I told my buddy, Kevin, that next year he's running with me instead of watching my dog, Stewart.

Oh, and there's a 10k in a couple of weeks in my home town of Glenview. Who knows? Maybe I can break ten minute miles then.

No comments: