Monday, June 20, 2011

Is Wrigley Field really...

...a "dump?" That's what sportscaster Peter Gammons said recently. And Rick Morrissey of the Sun-Times and Richard Rothschild of Sports Illustrated, among others, agreed.

Me? I'm not so sure. I like what Carlos Pena said in a piece in the Times this morning, "A Hallowed and Imperfect Ballpark":

“When I walked up through the tunnel for the first time, right before opening day, and you see the light at the end of the ramp, you think the gates of heaven have opened,” Pena said. “I don’t take this for granted, man. I’m playing in a cathedral of baseball.”

And that's exactly how I feel every time I emerge from the ramp and see the field again at Wrigley. In fact, the same thought always runs through my mind right at that moment: When I die, I want to be cremated and have my ashes sprinkled on this field.

As Jerry Seinfeld once said, "Fans don't root for the players; they root for the shirts."

And something similar could be said for Cub fans: We root for the home team at Wrigley.

Just as no one goes to Cellular Field to watch the White Sox, no one would watch the Cubs anywhere else.

1 comment:

Ed Crotty said...

Absoutely. The "where" is much more important than the "who". The Cubs have to figure out how to rebuild the 98 year old ballpark without changing anything. But they have to rebuild it becaue 98 year old pieces of concrete are falling on people's heads.