Monday, November 15, 2010

The next time you find yourself...

...in Lincoln, Nebraska on Game Day and can't get a ticket to see the Huskers, take heart: you can always go to the Germans From Russia Museum (above).

Now, I know what you're probably thinking: sounds niche-y. But honestly, how can you resist this Mission Statement from the American Historical Society of Germans From Russia?

An international organization dedicated to the discovery, collection, preservation, and dissemination of information related to the history, cultural heritage and genealogy of Germanic Settlers in the Russian Empire and their descendants.

Who's that I hear snoring out there? I'm sure this is an interesting museum. Really.

Seriously, who's idea was that? I can just imagine the town fathers of Lincoln, Nebraska getting together one afternoon at the local watering hole:

"Sure, Husker football is great for our little burg, but we need something else to attract tourists on the other 358 days of the year."

"I've got it! What about a Germans From Russia Museum? That'll put fannies in the seats!"

"I don't know, Elmer; won't the Russians from Germany feel a little slighted?"

Actually, we didn't make it to the GFR Museum this past weekend, although it's now on our Bucket List. We were among the lucky 85,000 spectators at the Nebraska-Kansas game, which featured my Godson, Brad Thorson (below).

While the Jayhawks took it on the chin, it was really a thrill for my brothers and me to be in Memorial Stadium (where do you suppose they got that name?) to see the famed Husker football team.

(The Huskers used to be called the Cornhuskers. I guess that's supposed to be an improvement; makes them sound more fierce. And I guess Cornhuskers was supposed to be an improvement over their previous nickname, the Bugeaters, above.)

This is the first time I saw my Godson (above) play football; hopefully it won't be the last. Kansas has only two regular season games left and is not expected to go to a bowl. But Brad is hoping to attend the NFL Combine in February and get a shot at the League, as they call it. Maybe next year we'll be watching him in Soldier Field!

No comments: