Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I can't believe I wrote...

...that last post before reading in Bloomberg, "How Trump’s Rust Belt Voters Have Changed Since the Election."

It's hard to be "all-in" for democracy after reading some of these profiles. Check out these responses to the following questions (all emphasis mine).

William Chaney, 41, of La Crosse, Wisconsin, is an account executive at a wholesale mortgage lender and married with one son.

On February 15, when Andy Puzder withdrew his name to become Department of Labor secretary, Mr. Chaney said:

I do feel a little sorry for Trump on how he has been treated by the Democrats during his first month. Had the Republicans obstructed Obama like that, we’d have been labeled racist. Honestly, if Trump were to hang himself with a brand new rope, the left would find something to criticize.

Bryn Biemeck, 31, of Milwaukee, is single and a fast-food worker. Until recently she was a life coach living with her mother.

A life coach who still lives at home?

On May 5, after House approval of the Republican health-care bill (which would presumably take away her health insurance) she said:

I’m more inclined to think it’s part-way decent, though my stance is still that I would prefer a full repeal.

Kim Woodrosky, 53, of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, is a single real estate investor. Same question, about Trump's health-care bill:

I have a feeling the Senate is going to put a stop to the whole thing.

She'd better hope so.

Michael Makowski, 54, of Concordville, Pennsylvania is a small-business owner and married with three children. Same question:

I’m happy about it. Sounds like it’s going to save us a little bit of money and not hurt too many people.

Except him and his family, probably.

On January 30, after a weekend of airport protests in opposition to Trump’s immigration order, Mr. Makowski said:

They’re worried he’s going to put them back to work. If you can stand in the middle of a highway and wave a cell phone in the middle of the night, you're certainly capable of holding a job during the day.

Huh?

Tom Anslow, 62, of Port Clinton, Ohio is semi-retired and married with three children.

On December 13, shortly after Trump was elected, Mr. Anslow said:

We are hurting over health care. It’s a weekly discussion in our house. I never wanted to be 65 in my life, but I do now.

Wow. Sounds like this guy can't wait for single-payer Medicare. The next three years could be a long wait.

Geno DiFabio, 54, of Youngstown, Ohio, is a driver for an industrial repair shop and married with one child.

In regard to the health care bill:

I think that when we see the final product, it's going to be better than what we have. I'm hoping.

Keep hoping.

On Mar 22, Mr. DiFabio said:

All they’re doing is solidifying the people that voted for him, believe me. Sometimes he says stupid stuff, but he’s still the only one that’s going to do anything for us, fight for us, actually fight for us.

And I think that's the secret to Trump's success: he was the only candidate (except Bernie Sanders) who actually spoke to the white working class. They're hurting and they want to be heard.

Tom Viviano, 50, of Sterling Heights, Michigan is a program manager for a car-industry automation company and married with four children.

On Mar 17, when asked why the stock market and small businesses are so enthusiastic, he said:

It’s so much different with Trump after Obama disillusioned them.

The Dow rallied 140 percent under President Obama. Where do you suppose this guy gets his information?

Finally, there's Ann Peterson, 51, of Rochester, Michigan a real estate broker/dealer who's divorced with two children.

On April 6, after the Neil Gorsuch decision appeared heading for the nuclear option, she said:

The hard part is, with watching the news, is you don’t even know who is telling the truth anymore. So I don’t really watch the news. I have been following a lot of the other people who give real news. On TV, you’re just not getting it. I follow Michael Savage.

Well I guess that answers my previous question.

I hope I don't sound like a snob, here; I really don't. And maybe I'm no better informed than any of these nice people -- heck, I get my news from the mainstream media. But maybe -- just maybe -- the political "elites" are called "elite" for a reason. Maybe they know what they're doing.

No comments: